iStock 000012922519XSmallIn order to bring a child from another country into the United States for the purpose of adoption, you need to comply with the laws, requirements, and regulations of the United States, your child's country, and the state in which you reside. To view the country requirements for all countries with which the U.S. may cooperate, go to

A general guideline of steps are:

    1. Attend an information meeting or meet with the international staff for a one-on-one consultation in person or on the phone.
    2. Send Hands Across The Water your completed application with the application fee.
    3. Begin the Home Study process with HATW or your home study agency.
    4. Decide on a country you wish to adopt from. Some people know before this point what country they are going to adopt from, but if you haven't decided, we can help you choose and guide you through the process for that country. 
    5. Prepare the legal documents (dossier). The documents required by each country vary, but will include documents such as birth, marriage, and health certificates, financial status reports, local police clearance and USCIS approval. 
    6. Receive and accept a child referred to you. 
    7. Travel to your child's birth country to bring your child home.




*HATW shall make all written policies, procedures and program statements, required by the State of Michigan Bureau of Children & Adult Licensing –Licensing Rulesfor Child Placing Agencies, available for review by the public. Also, upon request, HATW will disclose the following: Service policy Contracts, the number of adoption placements per year for the prior 3 calendar years, the number of placements that remain intact, the number of families who apply to adopt each year, and the number of waiting children eligible for adoption. To obtain this information please contact our office.



Copyright Hands Across the Water Ann Arbor, MI. 2013
Joomla! site design by Twolipps Graphics and Web Design